To reduce poverty and vulnerability of the urban poor households by enabling them to access gainful self employment and skilled wage employment opportunities, resulting in an appreciable improvement in their livelihoods on a sustainable basis, through building strong grassroots level institutions of the poor. The mission would aim at providing shelters equipped with essential services to the urban homeless in a phased manner. In addition, the mission would also address livelihood concerns of the urban street vendors by facilitating access to suitable spaces, institutional credit, social security and skills to the urban street vendors for accessing emerging market opportunities.
The components of the DAY-NULM are:
- Social Mobilization and Institution Development (SM&ID).
- Capacity Building and Training (CB&T).
- Employment through Skill Training and Placement (EST&P).
- Self Employment Programme (SEP).
- Support to Urban Street Vendors (SUH).
- Scheme of Shelter for Urban Homeless (SUSV), and an exclusive component, Innovation & Special Projects (I&SP).